This course takes food hygiene and safety to the next level in accordance with industry standards developed by the sector skills council People First. It was produced by Virtual College in association with food safety experts Food Dialog.
All food premises need to have at least one staff member trained to level 3 and this course is suitable for supervisors and managers across all sectors of the food industry, including manufacturing, catering and retail.
After completing this training learners should be able to:
- Take responsibility for food safety monitoring procedures
- Identify food safety hazards
- Contribute to improving food safety practice
After completing this training there is an online test and, once successful, learners can download and print a certificate to be displayed in the workplace.
This user-friendly training will show supervisors how their role is key to ensuring their firm complies with food safety legislation.
It will cover how to apply, monitor and implement food safety management procedures in the following areas:
- Food safety hazards and contamination
- Microbiology – the microorganisms you don’t want to find in your food.
- Food-borne illness – what food-borne illnesses are and how they affect us.
- Understanding food law – key legislation designed to protect food from contamination during its long journey from farm to fork.
- The role of the supervisor – what taking on additional responsibilities will entail.
- Food safety management – it’s all about the EU’s legislation on Hazard Analysis and Critical Control (HACCP).
- Food preservation – how to preserve food.
- Food storage and temperature control – appropriate storage and temperature controls.
- Personal hygiene – ensure staff are taking it seriously, from hand washing to hairnets.
- Workplace equipment and design – get the right kit to keep it clean and legal.
- Cleaning and disinfection – taking responsibility for workplace procedures.
- Pest control – howto maintain clean and pest-free conditions.
- Module summary
Approximately 8 hours. There are more than 320 interactive screens, which can be completed at your convenience and your progress will be recorded throughout.
This course is for supervisors, managers and owners of small businesses across all sectors of the food industry including manufacturing, catering and retail. It is the ideal next step from a Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene course.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
This course has been accredited by City & Guilds.
Its content has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Once you have successfully completed your course you can print your certificate. It should be displayed in the workplace to show that the appropriate industry training has taken place.